What’s Made Us Who We Are Today
The District is a quasi-municipal corporation and a political subdivision of the State of Colorado. The District was created in 1957 pursuant to Article 1 of Title 32, C.R.S, for the purpose of supplying water and sanitary sewer services to the inhabitants of the District and its service area. The District was originally organized as the Cherokee Water District on April 19, 1957. In the mid 1960’s, the Cimarron Sanitation District began operations to treat wastewater from Cimarron Hills. A third District formed in 1978 provided street lighting for this unincorporated area of El Paso County.
On April 14, 1981, the District’s Board of Directors (the “Board”) adopted a resolution to approve the proposed dissolution of the Cimarron Sanitation District (“Cimarron”), and to combine the functions of Cimarron into the Cherokee Water District. The establishment of the Cherokee Water and Sanitation District was ordered after the approval thereof at an election held within the proposed District for the purpose on September 22, 1981. The Order of the District Court in and for El Paso County, Colorado creating the District was entered on October 23, 1981.
On May 5, 1992, a special election was held to obtain approval of the dissolution of Cimarron Hills Street Improvement District (“Cimarron Hills”), the previous provider of certain street services within the District and with the El Paso County Commissioners, also in 1992, transferring all their park lands to Cherokee. The creation of the Cherokee Metropolitan District to provide the services previously provided by Cimarron Hills, the County Parks, and Cherokee Water and Sanitation District was approved. The order of the District Court in and for El Paso County, Colorado creating the Cherokee Metropolitan District was entered on May 11, 1992.
The District’s most recent expansion came in March of 1995 with the purchase of a golf course located in the District from the Resolution Trust Corporation.
The District lies outside the city limits of Colorado Springs located east of and adjacent to the City of Colorado Springs, in El Paso County. The District is bounded by Peterson Air Force Base on the south and by Powers Boulevard on the west. The District’s north boundary is located approximately two miles north of Constitution Avenue to Barnes Road. The Eastern boundary follows Highway 24 approximately one mile east of Marksheffel Road to Constitution Avenue. It then follows Constitution Avenue west to a point one-half mile east of Marksheffel Road (see attachment ‘A’). The District encompasses roughly 6300 acres and serves some 17,945 customers. The District also includes an area roughly 20 miles east of the main District boundaries near Ellicott, which encompasses 800 acres, and serves 93 residential taps at this time.
Two major water users outside the boundaries of the District, are Schriever Air Force Base (SAFB) and Woodmen Hills Metropolitan District (Woodmen Hills). SAFB is located approximately nine miles east of the District alongside the main transmission line. The Woodmen Hills Metropolitan District is located six miles east, northeast, of the northern most area of the Cherokee boundaries along Woodmen Road and Meridian Road. Woodmen Hills Metropolitan District is a bulk water user and is allowed up to 350 acre feet of water per year. Also, the District serves several commercial and residential users outside the service district boundaries.